Product Code: AN-2094
To-date the indoor location market has large focused on infrastructure based technologies such as Wi-Fi and BLE. However, with major companies like Apple, Google and Baidu expected to release their own handset-based indoor location technologies over the next year, it represents both a major opportunity and threat to retailers.
Suddenly, indoor location technologies and services can be deployed by third parties in any retail store. Retailers must act fast to take control of the digitization of their store, selecting the right partners and deciding on what data to share and what to keep in-house, when enabling new services.
This report aims to work through the technology options available to retailers, and what the implications of using these technology may be. The report also considers the opportunities and threat handset-based indoor location technologies present and how best to navigate this major upheaval of the market.
Table of Contents
1. NEXT WAVE OF INDOOR-LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES
- 1.1. APPLE's HANDSET-BASED INDOOR-LOCATION APPROACH
- 1.2. GOOGLE HANDSET-BASED INDOOR-LOCATION APPROACH
- 1.3. BAIDU: TAKING A DIFFERENT APPROACH WITH INDOORATLAS AND QUALCOMM IZAT
- 1.4. WHAT IS FACEBOOK DOING?
- 1.5. THIRD-PARTY ALTERNATIVES: BUILDING YOUR OWN HANDSET-BASED INDOOR-LOCATION TECHNOLOGY
2. BENEFITS TO RETAILERS
- 2.1. CUSTOMER REACH
- 2.2. REUCED INFRASTRUCTURE COSTS
- 2.3. DATA BEYOND THE SHOP DOOR
- 2.4. SCALING: LARGE BUILDINGS AND CHAINS
- 2.5. FREE SERVICES
- 2.6. CENTRALIZED APP/SERVICE FOR REWARDS, ETC.
3. THE TECHNICAL SIDE
- 3.1. WHO OWNS THE LOCATION DATA?
- 3.2. CAN I KEEP EVERYTHING IN-HOUSE?
- 3.3. HOW DO I CONTINUALLY UPDATE RF MAPPING?
- 3.4. DO I NEED TO MAP ANYTHING ELSE?
- 3.5. CAN I FORGET ABOUT BLE BEACONS NOW?
4. THE THREAT TO RETAILERS
- 4.1. WHO OWNS THE RIGHT TO CREATE A MAP/APP FOR A STORE?
- 4.2. THE RETAILER COULD LOSE CONTROL OF THE IN-STORE MOBILE EXPERIENCE
- 4.3. RETAILERS: FALLING INTO THE SAME INTERNET TRAP AGAIN
- 4.4. TAKE CONTROL OF THE DIGITIZATION OF YOUR STORE
- 4.5. DO GOOGLE AND APPLE PRESENT A THREAT OR AN OPPORTUNITY?
- American Airlines
- Apple Inc
- AR Technologies
- Broadcom Corporation
- ING Group
- International Technologies
- NOW Inc.
- Office Depot
- Qualcomm Inc
- QUALCOMM Incorporated
- SK corp
- SK Telecom
- Spark Compass
- USA Technologies
- Yahoo Japan